Wednesday, May 6, 2009

New Life Bird: Ruff

On Monday night I was watching an extra-innings baseball game and decided to check my email. A report for a rare bird came through that is reasonably close to where I work. The bird is a male Ruff in breeding plumage, a very interesting bird - and an extremely rare bird for this area.

The Ruff in question is currently residing in a flooded field with a large group of Lesser Yellowlegs and Greater Yellowlegs. The field is just over 20 minutes from where I work so yesterday I went to look at the bird on my lunch break.

With the assistance of other birders I located the Ruff on a small spit of dry land where he appeared to be sleeping. I could see he had a buff-coloured breast, but not much more than that as he was about 30 feet from me, and quite small. After a little while he got up and waded around, and I could better see how much he stood out among the Yellowlegs. I took some photos, but more for record purposes than trying to get one to post here.

I told Ron and Lynda about my sighting, and Ron looked up his only Ruff sighting - 19 years ago here in Hamilton. From what I have been able to gather, Ruffs are quite rare - though no infrequent - in this area. Every few years an individual shows up and causes a stir. It is nice that it is a breeding male this time, because winter males and females are very similar to the common Yellowlegs.

This morning I popped by the field on the way to work and spoke with a gentleman who said the Ruff was seen that morning before he arrived. Just as I had made up my mind not to wait to see if he came back, a large flock of Yellowlegs flew into the field. Quickly scanning the flock I located the Ruff, and in the morning light he stood out distinctly. I hope to have gotten some slightly better photos this time around.

A Ruff is an excellent life bird for me, and I doubt I will get a more rare bird this year. Maybe I will have a photo to add to this post later on today.

Edit: Added photo

No comments:

Post a Comment