Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Glaucous Gull - New Life Bird


Great Black-Backed Gull
Having just spoken about my difficulties with warbler identification I will now address another problem area I have - gulls. Warblers are difficult for me because they are small, in constant motion, difficult to photograph, and there are so many types. Gulls are difficult for another reason, primarily because whenever I see a gull or group or gulls I assume they are Ring-Billed Gulls. Sparrows are the same, I assume they are all House Sparrows. The problem this creates is that I seldom study a group of gulls for individuals that are different, with few exceptions.

I will usually look for Herring Gulls in a group a Ring-Billeds, mostly just for the practise of identifying them. Great Black-Backed Gulls, like the ones currently hanging around the Burlington Lift Bridge, are impossible not to notice due to their great size and black backs. I just found out today that the Great Black-Backed is the world's largest gull.

Glaucous Gull (back)

Another problem with gulls is the immatures and juveniles. Most gull species take two to three - and sometimes four - years to reach their full adult plumage. I have enough problems with adult identification. It will be a number of years before I can determine the species of an immature gull with any great measure of confidence.

The other day I was looking on the ice on the bay at the lift bridge for my first Bald Eagle of the year. The eagles are very regularly seen on the ice, though they tend to be too far out for good pictures with my equipment. I believe the eagles are fishing on the ice by waiting beside some open water for fish to appear. While looking at the eagles and wishing for a longer lens I heard to birders talking about Glaucous Gulls being seen on the ice earlier in the day.

Glaucous Gull flying
Three Bald Eagles (back)

My list of life gulls is very short, consisting of the previously mentioned Ring-Billed, Herring, Great Black-Backed, and Bonaparte's Gull. I was very interested in adding another gull to my list, but it did not happen that day. Yesterday I was at the lift bridge again, and while looking at the eagles on the ice I noticed a gull sitting close by with a white back. I knew the Glaucous was a white-backed gull, but also that the Iceland Gull is similar in appearance.

When I got home and showed my photos to Ron and Lynda we saw that the gull was quite a bit larger than the Ring-Billeds it was standing behind, making it definitely a Glaucous. I added it to my life list, which now happily contains five gull species. A winter trip to the nearby Niagara River would almost guarantee more gulls, but I would need to go with a good gull-identifying birder to get the most out of it.

Red-Breasted Merganser

My trip to the lift bridge yesterday also afforded me with my closest look this year at a Red-Breasted Merganser. Four mergansers were swimming right off the end of the canal walkway, and I popped my head over the wall to take some photos. Somewhat surprisingly they did not take flight, being a nervous duck, but swam calmly away. There were more White-Winged Scoters on the canal than I have seen in one place before, and not a single Surf Scoter to be seen with them.

There are at least eight adult Great Black-Backeds hanging around the lake end of the canal, and the Long-Tailed Ducks are still present in good numbers. Scaup and Redheads are also around, but for some reason I still haven't seen a Canvasback at the lift bridge. Identifying Scaup will be the subject of a future post, assuming I can take a picture of each and identify it myself!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. You may want to take a look at any photos you have of Blackbacks since Cheryl Edgecombe reports in the HNC sightings page in Ontbirds that a rare Slaty-Backed was seen there near the Glaucous. She does not say what day. The Slaty-backed has bright pink legs and a more mottled head.

    ReplyDelete