Thursday, January 8, 2009

First Life Bird of 2009

I was commenting to my wife about a week ago that I need to get more owls on my list. My only owl came last winter when a Northern Hawk-Owl wintered over nearby, presumably due to a deer mouse population crash up North.

Last Friday I was birding at La Salle Marina to build up my 2009 year list. While I was pointing out the Ruddy Ducks to a fellow photographer he told me about a large number of Long-Tailed Ducks at the Burlington Lift Bridge.

On Monday I went to the lift bridge and added a couple of gulls and a Peregrine Falcon. I got some pictures of the Peregrine flying with a pigeon in his/her talons. When I got home to look at the pictures I was extremely disappointed to see that I had the camera set to over expose. I immediately set the camera correctly, and I was lucky that I already had pictures of those birds previously.

Yesterday (Tuesday) I went back to the lift bridge to see if the Peregrine was still hanging around. I didn't see him/her at the lift birdge, so I walked down to the end of the canal. There were large number of Long-Tailed Ducks, Red-Breasted Mergansers, small groups of White-Winged Scoters, Ring-Billed Gulls and a single Black-Backed Gull.

All of a sudden all the gulls took off with a lot of noise, and many of the ducks started swimming away. When there was nothing else close by I turned around to walk back to my car, and there on the wall about 20 m from me was a Snowy Owl!

As this is the first time in my life I have seen a Snowy, I'm not sure if it was an immature or a female, or maybe even a male not in winter plumage yet.

The owl watched me calmly as I turned around and got a few pictures. He/she went back to looking around and I realized that in order to get back to my car I would have to pass within 5 m on the narrow walkway. Before this became as issue the gulls chased him/her off and they flew away.

I followed them for as long as I could hoping they would circle around, but they flew off a long way over the lake. I was struck by how similar in size the owl and the gulls were.

It turns out I had a clue on my way down the walkway. As I was looking at the ducks in the canal my foot hit a high spot in the walkway. I looked down, and just in front of me were a pair of severed wings that could have belonged to a pigeon or small duck (I didn't look at them too closely). I thought that was an odd place for them, as the falcon brings his/her pray somewhere high to eat in peace.

I knew there were more Snowy Owl sightings in the area recently due to a lemming population crash up North, but I hadn't heard ot any reports for the area around the lift bridge. I was completely surprised to get my second owl and first life bird of the year.

There have been some reports on a local mailing list about photographers not being respectful of owls while taking photographs. The accusations stop short of harassment, but there was a couple of days right around my sighting that the mailing list was pretty charged against owl photography.

It's funny how I can go my whole life without seeing a particular bird, and then once I see it the first time I get another sighting almost right away. Today I saw another Snowy Owl about 15 km from the first sighting. No sightings for 28 years (2 years of that bird watching) then two sightings in two days.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment