Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Sights and Sounds of Spring

In Southern Ontario you always hear about the American Robin being a sure sign of Spring. Depending on the year, it seems these birds can be a bit optimistic - I would say they were a couple of weeks ahead of the Spring weather this year. They have certainly arrived, being seen in every grassy field and heard singing well into the evening. I will concede that they are indeed a sign of Spring, and a welcome sight and sound after a long winter.

Another bird that seems to arrive at about the same time as the Robins is the Killdeer. Hearing the first piping call of a Killdeer in the Spring is quite nice, and each of the locations I have worked at in the last four years have had parking lots that seem to attract them. Killdeer are easily the "wading" bird I see most in this area, although I cannot recall ever seeing one wading.

Red-Winged Blackbirds, at least the males, are another early-Spring migrant around here. Walking through Paletta Park, the calls of the males staking territory and trying to attract a female are both frequent and well distributed. I haven't seen a female around yet, but the males are determined to be in fine voice by the time the females arrive. Seeing a Red-Winged fully display his wings and shoulders while belting out his song is about as iconic a Spring image as can be, for me. I haven't gotten any pictures of this display yet this year, but I hope to get one to post soon.

Speaking of the visual part of a birds song display, one less pronounced but still memorable bird is the Song Sparrow. Seeing a Song Sparrow with his head tipped back and beak open while hearing his complex but distinctive song evokes thoughts of Spring no matter what time of year I see and hear it.

I am still waiting for some Spring firsts for my year list - warbler, flycatcher, swallow, hummingbird - but I got a couple of firsts today that I will detail in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment