Monday, February 23, 2009

Another life gull


Golden-crowned Kinglet
After coming back from fabulous weather in Florida, I am finding it very hard to go birding in the sub-zero temperatures here at home. I have effectively ruined my cold-tolerance by spending a week is sunny hot weather, but I have managed to get out a couple of times.

First I went to Paletta Park in Burlington and walked around the woodlot. The paths were extremely icy in places, so I spent more time watching my feet than I did watching for birds. I was particularly on the look out for an American Treecreeper, which was abundant there last winter. After getting halfway through the lot and only seeing a few Black-capped Chickadees, I came across a bit of a surprise. Two beautiful Golden-crowned Kinglets were darting about the undergrowth beside the path. These tiny birds are surprisingly unconcerned when approached, so it was possible for me to get a couple of good shots on this dull day, although I had to throw away quite a few shots of empty twigs where only moments ago a kinglet sat.


Iceland Gull
I made it down to the Burlington Lift Bridge canal once last week, and it was windy and cold enough that my cheeks were bright red and tear stained when I got back to my car. There wasn't too much ice left on the bay, and the walkways were almost entirely clear of snow - quite a difference from when I was last there before my vacation. The number of ducks was down quite a bit with good numbers of Red-breasted Mergansers and smaller groups of White-winged Scoters and Long-tailed Ducks. I didn't see any eagles on the ice or anything particularly remarkable at the bay end of the canal.

As I was walking to the lake end of the canal and noting how far the wind carried me if I jumped straight up (about 15 cm) I saw the groups of Rock Pigeons were flying about like mad. Chasing after them was a Peregrine Falcon and I got a couple of pictures as he/she flew into the wind above me.


Iceland Gull
Halfway between the bridge and the lake end of the canal was a single gull swimming just off the walkway. Judging by his/her size and lack of black on the tail feathers I guessed that this bird was probably an Iceland Gull, which I confirmed was a first winter when I got home. Down at the very end of the canal the gull flew a couple of circles over me and I was able to get a couple of good shots while he/she was flying into the wind.

It was an overall dull day, and I was decidedly unimpressed with my falcon shots when I got home, but adding another gull to my life list brightened the day considerably. I am fairly sure I saw an Iceland Gull a few weeks prior to this sighting, but I wasn't able to confirm it with the photos I took that day when I got home. This was a much better sighting, and I am just as happy to have waited and made sure before adding the gull to my list.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. On this side of the pond they call it a 'Brown Creeper'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some lists say Brown Creeper, some American Treecreeper. Very confusing. I hope Clement et al manage to get a single English name for each bird species accepted worldwide. That would make everything easier.

    ReplyDelete